Roger P. Karrer
Senior Research Scientist
Phone:+49 30 8353 58459
Fax: +49 30 8353 58409
Email: roger [dott] karrer [att] telekom [dot] de
PublicationsCopyright notice: it is understood that all persons copying these articles will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each publisher's copyright. See below for ACM, IEEE, LNCS copyright notices; other publishers have similar ones.
- Roger Karrer, Alessio Botta and Antonio Pescape, High-speed wireless backhaul networks: myth or reality?. Computer Communications (Elsevier), Special Issue: Modelling, Testbeds and Applications in Wireless Mesh Networks (X. Zhou and L. Zhang, Eds.), Volume 31, Issue 8, pp 1540-1550, May 2008.
- Roger Karrer and Thomas Huehn, Ubiquitous TV delivery to the masses, International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, Volume 3, Number 2, April 2008.
- Bruce Lowekamp, Nancy Miller, Roger Karrer, Thomas Gross, and Peter Steenkiste, Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of the Remos Network Monitoring System. Journal of Grid Computing 1(1):75--93, 2003. paper
- Roger Karrer and Thomas Gross, Location Selection for Active Services. Cluster Computing: The Journal of Networks, Software, Tools and Applications, Vol. 5, Number 3, pp 365-377, July 2002. paper
Refereed Conference Publications
- Philip Eardley, Lars Eggert, Mat Ford, Roger Karrer, Pasi Sarolahti, Ralf Widera and Rolf Winter, Towards a unified Internet Control Architecture In Proceedings of the International Conference on Future Internet Technologies (CFI08), Seoul, Korea, June 2008. To appear.
- Rolf Winter and Roger Karrer, The Internet: a fragile success Fachgespraech der GI/ITG Fachgruppe "Kommunikation und Verteilte Systeme", Heidelberg, June 2008.
- Ju-Won Park, JongWon Kim, and Roger Karrer, TCP-ROME: a transport-layer approach to enhance Quality of Experience for Online Media Streaming, In Proceeings of the 16th International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS'08), Enschede, The Netherlands, June 2008.
- Adel Aziz, Roger Karrer and Patrick Thiran, Effect of 802.11 Adaptive Exponential Backoffs on the Fluidity of Downlink Flows in Mesh Networks In Proceedings of the 4th Internation Workshop on Wireless Network Measurements (WinMee 2008), in conjunction with WiOpt 2008, Berlin, Germany, March 2008. To appear
- Adel Aziz, Thomas Hühn, Roger Karrer and Patrick Thiran, Model validation through experimental testbed: the fluid flow behavior example In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the Development of Networks and Communities (TridentCom 2008), Innsbruck, Austria, March 2008. To appear.
- Roger Karrer and Antonio Pescape, 2nd generation wireless mesh networks: technical, economical and social challenges. In Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference on Future Generation Communication and Networking, Jeju Island, Korea, December 2007. pdf
- Roger Karrer, TCP prediction for adaptive applications In Proceedings of the Second IEEE LCN Workshop on Network Measurements, in conjunction with the 32nd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN 2007), Dublin, Ireland, October 2007. pdf
- Roger Karrer and Doris Reim, Ubiquitous TV delivery to the masses In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Pervasive Communications (IPC-07), Jeju Island, Korea, October 2007. pdf
- Roger Karrer and Ulrich Kuehn, ISPs: who else can you trust in the Internet? In Proceedings of ICIN'07, Bordeaux, France, Oct 2007. pdf
- Vinay Aggarwal, Anja Feldmann and Roger Karrer, A global Internet coordinate system: the case for collaboration between ISPs and P2P systems. In Proceedings of ICIN'07, Bordeaux, France, Oct 2007. pdf
- Alessio Botta, Antonio Pescape, Giorgio Ventre and Roger Karrer, High-speed wireless backbones: measurements from MagNets. In Proceedings of the 4th IEEE BroadNets (4th International Conference of Broadband Communications, Networks and Systems), Raleigh, NC, Sep 2007. pdf
- Roger Karrer, Istvan Matyasovszki, Alessio Botta and Antonio Pescape, MagNets: experiences from deploying a joint research-operational next-generation wireless access network testbed. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures (TridentCom), Orlando, FL, May 2007. pdf
- Nico Bayer, Andreas Roos, Roger Karrer and Bangnan Xu, Carrier Grade Wireless Mesh Access Networks, In the 1st Workshop of Operator-assisted (Wireless Mesh) Community Networks (OpComm'06), Berlin, Germany, September 2006. pdf
- Roger Karrer, Istvan Matyasovszki, Alessio Botta and Antonio Pescape, Experimental Evaluation and Characterization of the Magnets Wireless Backbone, In the 1st ACM International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental evaluation and CHaracterization (WiNTECH) 2006, co-located with MobiCom 2006, Los Angeles, CA, September 2006. pdf talk
- Roger Karrer, EC: an edge-based architecture against DDoS attacks and malware spread. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Security in Networks and Distributed Systems (SNDS'06), in conjunction with AINA 2006, Vienna, Austria, April 2006. pdf talk
- Roger Karrer and Edward Knightly, TCP-PARIS: a Parallel Download Protocol for Replicas. In Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Web Content Caching and Distribution (WCW'05), Sophia Antipolis, France, September 2005. pdf, talk
- Roger Karrer and Thomas Gross, Application-oriented communication for networkd systems. In Proceedings of 11th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS'05), Fukuoka Institute of Technology, Fukuoka, Japan, July 2005. pdf, talk
- Roger Karrer and Thomas Gross, On the integration of network information into topology-aware applications. In Proceedings of 9th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM'05), (Application session), Nice, France, May 2005. pdf, talk
- Supranamaya Ranjan, Roger Karrer and Edward Knightly, Wide Area Redirection of Dynamic Content by Internet Data Centers. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2004, Hong Kong, China, Mar 2004. pdf,
- Roger Karrer, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Edward Knightly, Enabling Large-scale Wireless Broadband: The Case for TAPs. In Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (Hot-Nets II), Cambridge, MA, November 2003. pdf,
- Roger Karrer and Thomas Gross, Multipath Streaming in Best-Effort Networks. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC'03), Anchorage, Alaska, May 2003. pdf,
- Roger Karrer and Thomas Gross, Location Selection for Active Services. In Proceedings of HPDC-10, pp 195-204, San Francisco, August 2001. pdf, talk
- Peter Dinda, Thomas Gross, Roger Karrer, Bruce Lowekamp, Nancy Miller, Peter Steenkiste, and Dean Sutherland, The Architecture of the Remos System . In Proceedings of HPDC-10, pp 252-265, San Francisco, August 2001. pdf,
- Roger Karrer and Thomas Gross, Dynamic Handoff of Multimedia
Streams. In Proceedings of NOSSDAV '01, pp 125-133, Danfords on the Sound,
Port Jefferson, New York, June 2001. pdf,
- Adel Aziz, Roger Karrer and Patrick Thiran, Promiting Fluidity in the Flow of Packets of 802.11 Wireless Mesh Networks Poster at the CoNext 2007 Student Workshop, New York, December 2007
- Harald Schioeberg, Roger Karrer, Anja Feldmann and Doris Reim, Systems Infrastructure for the Magnets WiFi mesh. Poster at EuroSys 2007, Lisbon, Portugal, March 2007. Abstract
- Roger Karrer, Petros Zerfos and Nischal Piratla, Magnets - a next generation access network. Poster at IEEE INFOCOM 2006, Barcelona, Spain, April 2006. Abstract, Poster
- Rui L. Aguiar, Hans Einsiedler and Roger Karrer, Daidalos: the operator's vision of the next-generation Internet. Poster at IEEE INFOCOM 2006, Barcelona, Spain, April 2006. Abstract, Poster
- Roger Karrer, Ju-Won Park and JongWon Kim, TCP-ROME: performance and fairness in parallel downloads for Web and real time multimedia streaming applications Technical Report, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories, September 2006. pdf
- Alessio Botta, Istvan Matyasovszki, Antonio Pescape and Roger Karrer, Performance evaluation of the Magnets wireless backbone Technical Report, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and University of Napoli "Federico II", July 2006. pdf
- Roger Karrer, Securing the Internet: threats, trends and tussles 7th Wuerzburg Workshop on IP: Joint EuroFGI and ITG Workshop on Visions of Future Generation Networks (EuroView 2007), Wuerzburg, Germany, July 2007. talk,
- Ulrich Kühn and Roger Karrer, Netzwerksicherheit: Mit Kryptographie gegen DDoS. Invitied talk at the "Kryptotag I/2007", Feb 2007, Saarbrücken, Germany.
- Roger Karrer, Magnets: an experimental wireless access network. NCCR-MICS Scientific Conference, Zurich, Switzerland, Oct 2006. talk,
- Roger P. Karrer, Design of topology-aware networked applications.
ETH Diss-No 14828, Sep 2002. abstract,
This dissertation describes an architecture that allows the integration of network information into the application context to deploy complex communication operations, such as multicast, mobility, multipath streaming or resource-aware data transportation in the current Internet.
Papers published by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE) are Copyright (c) by IEEE. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
Papers published in the Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) are Copyright (c) by Springer-Verlag.